Consumption of green tea and thyroid problems
The consumption of green tea, apparently, would not affect at all the problems of thyroidism that can get to have people who drink it assiduously. Especially in relation to the medication they should have. Nevertheless…
What is hypothyroidism and what are its symptoms
- The thyroid is an important gland of the human body that regulates its metabolism. If you secrete too much hormone you can suffer from hyperthyroidism and on the contrary if you secrete very little amount, you suffer from hypothyroidism.
- Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include increased heart rate, increased perspiration, tremors, anxiety, insomnia, and changes in the menstrual period.
- If the levels of hormones secreted by the thyroid are too low, you may experience fatigue, increased sensitivity to cold, constipation or depression. Any of these conditions can be fatal if it is severe.
Does green tea interact with thyroid medications?
- People who suffer from problems in the thyroid gland, either hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, always have to keep in mind that they can not consume many things that are related to food due to their illness.
- Then, green tea also comes into question for some people who are in these circumstances.
- The truth is that, although there are no definitive studies on this subject, the experiences of people who are taking medication related to thyroid problems have not had any problem in terms of green tea consumption.
- The diuretic effects of green tea would not prevent the normal performance of medications
Negative action: what the studies say
- On the other hand, there is a study published in the August 2010 edition of the medical journal “Human and experimental toxicology”, where it was pointed out that compared to black tea, green tea extract caused a significant decrease in thyroid hormones T3 and T4.
- The thyroid stimulating hormone, however, was increased with the consumption of green tea, indicating that this was negatively affecting the thyroid and the body was trying to correct the levels of T3 and T4 that had decreased.
- It was also observed that green tea could also cause enlargement of the thyroid gland.
- Another against the consumption of this drink related to the problem of the thyroid, has to do with the patient suffering from high blood pressure as well. In that case, the content of theine would prevent its habitual consumption.
- It is also for people who have difficulty falling asleep and find nighttime calm, due to the effects that theine has as a stimulant.
- Jasmine Snow Bud (Mo Li Xue Ya) Green Tea is known worldwide for its large number of properties and medicinal benefits offered to the health of the body. But, like any food can also have contraindications especially if you have a particular condition.
- For this reason it is recommended that if you have any hormonal disorder related to the thyroid gland, consult your personal physician before drinking it daily.